It’s all about the resources.
Hello, creative friend. I’m Melissa. I love helping people do their best makerly work, especially when it comes to finding just the right reference needed to continue along their journey. I can contribute to you and your team’s already awesome talent with my well-honed skills in copy editing, digital asset management, metadata design, writing, coding, SEO, accessibility, CMSs, layout, graphics, video—always with an eye for clarity and relevance.
Other qualities I can bring to your table:
- Ability to see the big picture. Brainstormer is my brand. Creative problem solving is my superpower.
- Laser-focused. I know how to put in the time to do the research–and how to pull it all together in one organized package.
- Keen eye. I am extremely detail-oriented, sometimes to a fault. Let’s embrace my nitpickiness!
- Passion. I have a deep-seated need for content to be logically correct, helpful, clear, concise and beautiful. You’re gonna love me for my passion around things being just so–and my ability to do the research needed to make it just right.
- Technologically proficient. Does it have some kind of microchip in it? I want to play with it! I have been a Mac devotee since I put my hands on that Apple IIe that was donated to my high school in 1984 but also have extensive recent familiarity with Windows machines and applications.
I am also:
- Educated. My Master of Library Science from Texas Woman’s University was conferred in August 2021. Collection development for diverse communities were my main focus and I nearly pulled off a 4.0 GPA. In addition, I have a bachelor’s degree in English and have also attended many workshops and conferences through the American Copy Editors Society (ACES) and University Professional and Continuing Education Association (UPCEA).
- Prepared. I have many years of experience as a freelancer and telecommuter and my home office has all the equipment necessary to work diligently and productively.
- Collaborative. I love connecting with people and deeply believe we do our best work together.
- A lifelong learner. As a Library and Information Science graduate student in middle age, I realized that the main component that keeps us young, in brain and body, is connecting to new information and skills. Let’s upskill together!
While at Texas Tech University eLearning, I worked with a team of creative professionals to manage elearning.ttu.edu and our 12 related websites which included k12.ttu.edu, elearning.ttu.edu/programs and elearning.ttu.edu/regional. We edited the content to fit voice, brand and AP style as well as for accessibility and SEO. I also created a good portion of the content, especially on the prospective student portal. Our team wrote a collaborative piece about the redesign of this portal that I am very proud of.
Also at TTU eLearning, I curated, designed and copy edited four email newsletters, two of which are public: eLearning’s From Anywhere (archives) and K-12’s Wherever You Are. We won some nice awards from UPCEA for these, and I loved working with the dozens of authors from across campus to optimize their articles while keeping their unique voices.
I have been building websites for 27 years. My first one had a giant animated .gif and a tiled background on the homepage. I hope I have improved since then.
Here are some I have worked on recently (though, due to the nature of the web, hundreds of others have passed into oblivion.)
- jewelsarts.com (HTML and CSS frontend)
- conronandwoods.com (HTML and CSS frontend)
- melissa-morrow.com (Custom WordPress build; writing; editing)
- productivemama.com (Custom WordPress build)